U.S. deploys aircraft carrier as Iran warns against attack

3 months ago 2
ARTICLE AD BOX

A U.S. naval onslaught radical led by an craft bearer has deployed to Middle Eastern waters, the United States said connected Monday (January 26, 2026), arsenic Tehran warned it was acceptable to deed backmost astatine immoderate American onslaught launched successful effect to a crackdown connected anti-government protests.

A U.S.-based rights radical said connected Monday (January 26) that it had confirmed the deaths of astir 6,000 people successful the question of protests suppressed by Iran's information forces, but emphasised the existent toll could beryllium respective times higher.

Also Read | Iran volition dainty immoderate onslaught arsenic ‘all-out warfare against us,’ says elder official

The protests started successful precocious December, driven by economical grievances, but turned into a wide question against the Islamic republic, with immense thoroughfare demonstrations for respective days from January 8.

But rights groups person accused authorities of quelling the question with unprecedented violence, shooting into crowds of protesters nether the screen of an net shutdown that has present lasted 18 days — the longest Iran has ever imposed.

U.S. President Donald Trump has antecedently threatened to intervene, saying past week that Washington was sending a "massive fleet" to the portion "just successful case".

The deployment of the USS Abraham Lincoln bearer onslaught radical dramatically boosts American firepower successful the region.

The onslaught radical has arrived successful the Middle East, U.S. Central Command said connected Monday (January 26), adding it was determination "to beforehand determination information and stability".

The United States backed and concisely joined Israel's 12-day warfare against Iran successful June, and portion Mr. Trump past week appeared to measurement backmost from his threats of caller subject intervention, helium has ne'er ruled the enactment out.

'Regret-inducing response'

Iran's Foreign Ministry warned connected Monday (January 26) of a "comprehensive and regret-inducing effect to immoderate aggression".

Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei said: "The accomplishment of specified a battleship is not going to impact Iran's determination and seriousness to support the Iranian nation."

A elder subject authoritative told authorities tv that the "buildup of extra-regional forces and equipment... would not enactment arsenic a deterrent but alternatively summation their vulnerability and crook them into accessible targets".

Meanwhile, a caller anti-U.S. billboard has appeared successful the cardinal Enghelab Square successful Tehran that appears to amusement an American craft bearer being destroyed.

"If you sow the wind, you volition reap the whirlwind," its English-language caption reads.

In Lebanon, Iran-backed Shiite militant radical Hezbollah, whose capabilities and enactment were severely degraded successful a warfare with Israel successful 2024, organised a rally successful enactment of the Islamic republic featuring an code by its person Naim Qassem, who warned "a warfare connected Iran this clip volition ignite the region".

Iran's Gulf neighbour the United Arab Emirates, which hosts a US airbase, said it would not let attacks connected Iran to beryllium launched from its territory.

Rising toll

NGOs tracking the deaths from the crackdown person said their task has been impeded by the net shutdown, informing that confirmed figures are apt to beryllium acold little than the existent toll.

The U.S.-based Human Rights Activists News Agency (HRANA) said it had confirmed that 5,848 radical had been killed, including 209 members of the information forces. But the radical added it was inactive investigating different 17,091 imaginable fatalities.

At slightest 41,283 radical person been arrested, it said.

Giving their archetypal authoritative toll from the protests, Iranian authorities past week said 3,117 radical were killed, the bulk of whom it described arsenic members of the information forces oregon guiltless bystanders killed by "rioters".

Confirming that the net blackout remained successful place, show Netblocks said the shutdown was "obscuring the grade of a deadly crackdown connected civilians".

Hosein Rafieian, a elder Iranian authoritative for matters relating to the integer economy, told the Mehr quality bureau connected Monday that "we anticipation that companies' entree to the planetary net volition beryllium restored wrong the adjacent time oregon two".

Over the weekend, Persian-language TV transmission Iran International, which is based extracurricular the country, said much than 36,500 Iranians were killed by information forces from January 8 to 9, citing reports, documents and sources. It was not instantly imaginable to verify the report.

Activists person said that the Revolutionary Guards, a subject unit abstracted from the regular service with the mandate of keeping the Islamic gyration alive, took a frontline presumption successful putting down the protests.

Italian Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani connected Monday (January 26) urged the European Union to database the Guards arsenic a "terrorist organisation", arsenic Canada and the United States person done, saying "the losses suffered by the civilian colonisation during the protests request a wide response".

Read Entire Article