Trump says agreement with Iran 'largely negotiated,' includes opening strait

20 hours ago 1
ARTICLE AD BOX

U.S. President Donald Trump said connected Saturday (May 23, 2026) a woody with Iran had been “largely negotiated,” with the connection including opening the important Strait of Hormuz, though the statement was “subject to finalisation.”

“An Agreement has been mostly negotiated, taxable to finalisation betwixt the United States of America, the Islamic Republic of Iran, and the assorted different Countries,” Mr. Trump wrote connected his Truth Social platform, listing a fig of West Asia powers on with Turkey and mediator Pakistan.

Also Read: Iran-Israel warfare LIVE

“In summation to galore different elements of the Agreement, the Strait of Hormuz volition beryllium opened,” helium said.

Among the West Asia countries whose leaders joined a telephone connected Saturday (May 23, 2026) to sermon the woody were Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Qatar, Egypt, Jordan and Bahrain, Mr. Trump said.

He added that helium had a abstracted telephone with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, saying it “likewise went precise well.”

“Final aspects and details of the Deal are presently being discussed, and volition beryllium announced shortly,” Mr. Trump said.

His optimistic station came aft Iranian officials said gaps remained betwixt the parties, and that the quality implicit its atomic programme would not beryllium portion of the archetypal talks. Tehran said it was finalising a 14-point model for a deal.

Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei noted what helium called “a inclination towards rapprochement,” but said, “it does not needfully mean that we and the United States volition scope an statement connected the important issues.”

“Our volition was archetypal to draught a memorandum of understanding, a benignant of model statement composed of 14 clauses,” helium said connected State television.

Mr. Baghaei added that helium hoped the details of a last statement could beryllium worked retired “within a tenable timeframe betwixt 30 to 60 days” aft the model is finalised.

‘Another enactment of folly’

Iran’s main negotiator Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf had warned earlier that Washington would look a pugnacious effect if it resumed hostilities, aft U.S. media reports raised the imaginable of caller strikes and Iranian officials accused the U.S. broadside of making “excessive demands.”

“Our equipped forces person rebuilt themselves during the ceasefire play successful specified a mode that if Mr. Trump commits different enactment of folly and restarts the war, it volition surely beryllium much crushing and bitter for the United States than connected the archetypal time of the war,” Mr. Ghalibaf said.

He issued the informing aft gathering successful Tehran with Pakistan’s service main Field Marshal Asim Munir, a starring fig successful planetary efforts to negociate an extremity to the war, which broke retired aft the United States and Israel attacked the Islamic republic connected February 28.

Weeks of negotiations, including historical face-to-face talks hosted by Islamabad, person inactive not produced a imperishable solution oregon restored afloat entree to the Strait of Hormuz, choking immense quantities of planetary lipid supply.

‘Neither warfare nor peace’

The impasse has near mean Iranians successful limbo.

“The authorities of ‘neither warfare nor peace’ is acold filthier than warfare itself,” 39-year-old Tehran nonmigratory Shahrzad told AFP.

“I’m astir to commencement a caller job, and I’m frightened warfare mightiness interruption retired again, that I’ll extremity up leaving the occupation similar before, moving disconnected to different metropolis retired of fear,” she said.

Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said successful a telephone with UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres that Tehran was engaged contempt “repeated betrayals of diplomacy and subject aggression against Iran, on with contradictory positions and repeated excessive demands” by Washington.

Mr. Araghchi held a bevvy of diplomatic calls, speaking with counterparts from Turkey, Iraq, Qatar and Oman, Iran’s authoritative IRNA quality bureau said.

Qatari Emir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani besides spoke with Mr. Trump connected Saturday (May 23, 2026), arsenic good arsenic with the UAE president and Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.

An authoritative Qatari connection said Sheikh Tamim and the Saudi prince discussed efforts “aimed astatine calming the concern and promoting governmental solutions.”

On different beforehand successful the war, Lebanese authorities media said Israel struck the country’s southbound connected Saturday (May 23, 2026), arsenic warring has not stopped contempt an April 17 ceasefire.

Lebanon’s subject said 1 onslaught targeted a Lebanese service barracks successful the southbound and wounded a soldier.

Israel said 1 of its soldiers was killed connected Friday (May 22, 2026) adjacent the borderline with Lebanon.

Iran-backed Hezbollah drew Lebanon into the warfare connected March 2 with rocket occurrence astatine Israel aft U.S.-Israeli strikes killed Iran’s ultimate leader.

Hezbollah said connected Saturday (May 23, 2026) its main Naim Qassem had received a connection from Mr. Araghchi indicating that Iran “will not springiness up its support” for the Lebanese group.

Read Entire Article