SC directs appointment of legal aid lawyers to Manipur violence victims without delay

1 month ago 1
ARTICLE AD BOX
Men excavation  graves for coffins of deceased Meiteis who were killed aft  taste   unit   broke retired  successful  Borobekra, Jiribam successful  the northeastern authorities   of Manipur. File.

Men excavation graves for coffins of deceased Meiteis who were killed aft taste unit broke retired successful Borobekra, Jiribam successful the northeastern authorities of Manipur. File. | Photo Credit: Reuters

The Supreme Court connected Tuesday (March 24, 2026) took objection to the hold by the Manipur and Assam authorities to supply ineligible assistance lawyers for the victims of the 2023 Manipur taste unit adjacent a period aft an apex tribunal order.

A Bench headed by the Chief Justice of India Surya Kant said each that was required to beryllium done was to prime up a lawyer conversant successful transgression instrumentality from the ineligible services authorities’ pool. Some of the superior cases investigated by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) were being tried successful Assam.

The apex tribunal bid connected February 26 had directed the assignment of ineligible assistance counsel for the victims, and directed the CBI to supply victims copies of the chargesheets successful their respective cases.

Advocate Vrinda Grover, appearing for the victims’ side, said they had been fixed neither chargesheets nor ineligible assistance counsel.

Additional Solicitor General Aishwarya Bhati said the submission made was not true, and she was nether acquisition from the CBI to pass the tribunal that chargesheets had so been provided to the victims.

The tribunal recorded the Manipur Advocate General’s assurance that helium would personally guarantee the assignment of ineligible assistance counsel.

The tribunal said the chargesheet, if immoderate had to beryllium given, could beryllium handed implicit to the ineligible assistance lawyers acrophobic erstwhile they were appointed to correspond the victims successful proceedings proceedings.

In the erstwhile hearing, the tribunal had asked the CBI to record a presumption study detailing whether the bureau had compiled capable grounds to “bring location the guilt” to persons accused of assorted heinous offences, including the intersexual battle and gangrape of women during the sectarian unit that rocked the northeastern State.

Published - March 24, 2026 10:57 p.m. IST

Read Entire Article