Only 30 to 40 Maoists remain in Bastar, Chhattisgarh Deputy Chief Minister

1 month ago 1
ARTICLE AD BOX
 Senior Maoist commandant  Papa Rao, beforehand   centre, a subordinate   of the Dandakaranaya Special Zonal Committee (DKSZC) and in-charge of southbound  Sub Zonal Bureau of Maoists, and his squad  members clasp  copies of the Constitution of India aft  their surrender, successful  Bastar district, Chhattisgarh, Wednesday, March 25, 2026. Inspector General of Police (IGP), Bastar Range, Sundarraj P is besides  seen.

Bastar: Senior Maoist commandant Papa Rao, beforehand centre, a subordinate of the Dandakaranaya Special Zonal Committee (DKSZC) and in-charge of southbound Sub Zonal Bureau of Maoists, and his squad members clasp copies of the Constitution of India aft their surrender, successful Bastar district, Chhattisgarh, Wednesday, March 25, 2026. Inspector General of Police (IGP), Bastar Range, Sundarraj P is besides seen. | Photo Credit: PTI

Chhattisgarh Deputy Chief Minister Vijay Sharma connected Wednesday (March 25, 2026) said that 96% of the Bastar region was escaped from Maoism and that lone 30 to 40 cadres were surviving successful the distant areas.

Mr. Sharma made the remarks astatine a programme held successful the aftermath of the surrender of Maoist commandant Papa Rao.

“In the existent scenario, nary progressive Maoist of the DKZSC (Dandakaranya Special Zonal Committee) fertile remains successful Chhattisgarh; lone a constricted fig of Naxals — estimated astatine 30 to 40 — past successful the distant regions of the northbound and south, and prospects for their speedy rehabilitation person been expressed,” helium said.

Mr. Sharma besides said that astir 400 information camps established successful the interior regions of Bastar would beryllium phased retired and converted into improvement centres. “In the future, these camps volition relation arsenic constabulary stations, schools, hospitals, and centres for the postulation and processing of insignificant wood produce, thereby providing section residents with improved opportunities for education, healthcare, and employment, and strengthening the instauration for sustainable improvement successful the region,” helium said.

Meanwhile, successful a property note, the Bastar Police said that Papa Rao and 17 others — carrying a corporate reward of ₹87 lakh — shunned unit and joined the mainstream.

Inspector General of Police (Bastar Range) P. Sundarraj said that information forces recovered 18 weapons, including AK-47 rifles, SLRs, INSAS rifles, .303 rifles, a 9 mm pistol, a BGL launcher, and ₹12 lakh in currency from the surrendered cadres.

The property enactment stated that Papa Rao was besides known by the aliases Ashok, Sunnam Chandrayya, and Mangu, and his relation with the Maoist question dated backmost to 1997. “A South sub-zonal bureau caput (SZCM), helium held cardinal operational roles in Bastar,” the enactment said. He had been successful complaint of the Pamed-Usur Area Committee and, from 2018, handled operations successful West Bastar. He carried a bounty of ₹25 lakh and was equipped with an AK-47 rifle, the enactment added.

Published - March 25, 2026 10:35 p.m. IST

Read Entire Article