Despite directions from the Bombay High Court for timely rehabilitation, residents of the Shewa Koliwada transit camp allege intimidation by the authorities. On September 18, 2025, 7 ample constabulary vans arrived during a gathering betwixt the villagers and territory authorities. Residents assertion the amusement of unit was meant to discourage them from pursuing their lawsuit successful court.

A elder constabulary serviceman denied the allegations, stating the unit of 100 officers was deployed solely to support the District Collector’s representative, and the residents, and to forestall immoderate scuffle that could person occurred during the meeting.
In 1984, each the villagers of Shewa Koliwada handed implicit their homes and lands for a larboard to beryllium developed connected the shores of the Arabian Sea successful Navi Mumbai. The families inactive conflict successful impermanent lodging amid unsanitary conditions. When the Jawaharlal Nehru Port Trust township task came up successful the aforesaid year, the radical of Shewa Koliwada were moved to 2 transit camps 12 km away, astatine their existent location.
Residents outcry foul
The displaced families, living successful transit accommodation for implicit 40 years, said the constabulary deployment was unjustified.
“There were 7 ample constabulary vans that are utilized to detain people,” Ramesh Koli (66), president of the Shewa Koliwada Samajik Gramvikas Mandal. “They tried to intimidate america truthful that we retreat our case. But we refused to bow down to corrupt officials who betrayed america for 4 decades. On May 9, 2025, we had a akin situation. A ample fig of constabulary were deployed, and they were forcing america to signifier an amerciable gram panchayat. This intimidation by the authorities is shameful arsenic we, the mediocre sportfishing community, gave distant our everything for a nationalist larboard task lone to beryllium betrayed for decades,” Mr. Koli said.

The constabulary remained from 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m., causing distress among residents. Community leaders alleged a conspiracy by Jawaharlal Nehru Port Authority (JNPA) authorities; the City and Industrial Development Corporation (CIDCO) of Maharashtra; and the Raigad District Collector to instill fearfulness and obstruct their program to taxable a signed petition opposing the rehabilitation scheme, and demanding a First Information Report (FIR) against the liable officials.
Letter to CM
On September 19, the residents wrote to Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis demanding disciplinary enactment against the officials who had authorised the dense constabulary deployment. “We besides request transparency successful revealing however overmuch was spent connected deploying truthful galore constabulary officers and vans,” Mangesh Anant Koli, vice president of the residents’ collective, said.

The missive marked to the Governor of Maharashtra stressed that villagers had been protesting peacefully for 43 years done tribunal petitions and Right to Information applications. It sought disciplinary enactment nether Section 5 of the Maharashtra Civil Services (Discipline and Appeal) Rules, 1979, and the registration of an FIR nether the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita for fraud, deceit, harassment, and conspiracy. It besides held the District Collector, and the JNPA Chairman liable for immoderate aboriginal disturbances to instrumentality and order.
Rehabilitation deadline
On September 4, 2025 the Bombay High Court directed the JNPA to implicit the rehabilitation process for project-affected families by December 2025. A Division Bench of Justice Sandesh D. Patil and Justice Revati Mohite Dere are proceeding the residents’ petition.
The JNPA’s counsel told the tribunal that the connection had cleared aggregate rounds of approvals and was present with the Departments of Expenditure and Economic Affairs. The tribunal recorded the JNPA’s assurance that the Union Cabinet would instrumentality a last determination by December. The tribunal adjourned the substance to December 22.
‘False narrative’
On September 6, residents issued ineligible notices to Saamana, mouthpiece of the Shiv Sena-Uddhav Balasaheb Thackeray oregon UBT, Marathi regular Lokmat, and Shiv Sena (UBT) main Uddhav Thackeray. They alleged that reports published connected September 4 misrepresented facts astir the fig of affected families, onshore allotment, and advancement successful rehabilitation, creating “serious disorder and unrest”.
The notices further objected to Shiv Sena (UBT)’s authoritative societal media handles amplifying these reports with politically motivated commentary.
The notices mention defamation (Sections 499 and 500 of the erstwhile Indian Penal Code oregon IPC), nationalist mischief (Section 505 of the IPC), civilian liability for damages, usurpation of Press Council of India norms, and prejudicial interference successful a sub judice matter. They request withdrawal of the reports and posts, nationalist apologies and corrections, disclosure of sources, and compensation for intelligence harassment.
Failing compliance, residents warned of filing defamation suits, approaching the Press Council of India, moving contempt petitions successful the Bombay High Court, and seeking enactment from the Election Commission of India for the misuse of assorted platforms.

8 months ago
3





